How to Organically Market Your Clothing Line: The Simplest Way to Start Now!
Strategy is everything, period full stop. Launching a successful clothing line is an exciting venture, but it requires a strategic approach to marketing to stand out in a crowd. Cool clothes passionately designed are expected. So that alone will not get you noticed. I will explore how to organically market your clothing line by leveraging social media platforms like Pinterest, Instagram/Facebook, and YouTube, as well as building a strong affiliate network. We’ll share actionable tips, examples, and insights.
- Most people do not know you, change that.
- Most people do not know WHY they should listen to you, change that.
- Most people will not buy from YOU, but they will buy so make money from that!
The goal is simple, build a following of people who like ONE thing and branch off from there. In this Case as a test example we will use “T-Shirts” because it is simple. We will also work directly from YOUR PASSION because that is where most people start with passion.
Now I need to be clear that marketing from passion is NOT where we start in the INCubator nor is it where I recommend. Passion is awesome but research is KING! That being shared it is hard to go backwards so we will start with where you are. A cool design on a quality T-Shirt. We are starting ASSUMING you are already working on the logistics. (I have other articles that explore logistics of products, this article is about building a base of Buyers).
Your goal is to build a legitimate database of buyers of T-Shirts, not to “SELL YOURS” immediately. I am sharing this because the wrong place to start is to come out of the gate trying to sell you crap before you have a loyal following. The loyal following will be developed because you care more about what they like than about selling them stuff you made.
Where do I find people for my list of buyers?
Choose the Right Platforms: If you do not know the right ones choose these.
Pinterest: Best place to start and will give you the biggest bang for your organic buck. If I could only do one of these this is where I would start and this is where I would dominate.
- Create “5” (minimum but this is the best number to start ) visually appealing boards
- Showcase different styles of 5 Distinct Genre’s of T-Shirts
- Sprinkle in some of what you are making although most of which SHOULD NOT BE the ones you are making.
- This rule will apply across the board. clothing line, such as Band T-shirts or Satire T-shirts.
- Cool Board Names (Use the word “T-Shirt in the names of the Boards and use the Genre In the Name of the Boards (match to google search terms if possible.
- Make sure the picture is COOL and shows off that shirt
- You can sort the Genres by color and create sub boards (boards within boards)
- Describe WHY YOU like this T-Shirt
- LINK the ½ the Pins to a url that is either an article or video content about the shirt
- Link the other ½ of the pins DIRECTLY to your affiliate link so if people like it they can buy it, this is the most important step. Besides the fact that you WIL:L make money you can accurately see exactly what people will be willing to SPEND THEIR money on immediately. That will help you curate your clothes and the Boards.
Instagram/Facebook: Utilize these platforms to share your clothing line’s story, behind the scenes content, and customer testimonials. Here you will use a similar technique but it should be YOU wearing or someone cool looking wearing the T’s. Insta is more visual appeal and influencer based, FB is posting at the same time so it is a two for one but build for Insta if you are building T-Shirts.
YouTube: Produce engaging videos, including product reviews, style guides, and brand stories. Make sure the SEO is spot on and the descriptions have plenty of links to your affiliate sites. This will not matter in the front but will make a big difference later. In your links you are giving them the top “7” places to buy really cool shirts at the BEST pricing and that should automatically enter them to win a shirt every 147 people win something. I would use this on Instagram and Pinterest as well.
Best Affiliate Networks: Sell them what they want first.
Here are 6 cool and simple sites you can affiliate with easily and start making money today. This is important and might take an entire weekend to do. Oh boy stop whining you want to make money online so you will need to put in the work.
- Sign up and save the information on your Google Drive Sheet with links to each dashboard.
- Create articles featuring unique content, such as “The 5 Coolest T-shirts No One Knows About,” and include affiliate links to the brands you collaborate with.
- Go Deeper and give people something for FREE in exchange for their email. EX: Top 100 T-Shirt Designs of all time, 97 top Rock band T-Shirts, lists that will create a must have curiosity based on YOUR PASSION, 79 of the funniest political Satire T-shirts in history. This will build a list of your type of buyers.
- Your lists when available MUST have links to registered affiliate sites so if people want to buy from the list YOU get PAID!
Share these articles and images on Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook to introduce your clothing line to a wider audience.
- Amazon Associates: Right now the biggest and perhaps the smartest but you need traffic to keep it. Amazon has a vast selection of clothing products, making it a great choice for affiliate marketers. You can promote clothing items from various brands and earn commissions on sales generated through your affiliate links.
- ShareASale: ShareASale is an affiliate marketing network that connects affiliates with a wide range of clothing retailers and brands. They offer a diverse selection of clothing affiliate programs, making it easy to find products that align with your niche.
- Rakuten Advertising: Rakuten (formerly known as Ebates) is a popular cashback and affiliate marketing platform. It partners with various clothing retailers, allowing you to promote clothing products and earn commissions on purchases made through your affiliate links.
- CJ Affiliate (formerly Commission Junction): CJ Affiliate is a well-established affiliate marketing network that works with numerous fashion and apparel brands. They provide access to a wide range of clothing affiliate programs, making it suitable for affiliates in the fashion niche.
- Awin: Awin is another reputable affiliate marketing network that offers clothing affiliate programs from a variety of brands. They have a user-friendly interface and provide detailed reporting and tracking tools for affiliates.
- Zanox (Now Awin): Zanox, which is now part of Awin, offers clothing affiliate programs in various regions worldwide. It’s a good choice for affiliates looking to tap into international markets.
- FlexOffers: FlexOffers is an affiliate network that partners with numerous clothing and fashion brands. They provide a user-friendly platform and offer a wide range of promotional tools for affiliates.
“Affiliate marketing can be a gamechanger for your clothing line. Find passionate affiliates who resonate with your brand, and let them tell your story.”Gary Vaynerchuk
Engage Your Audience: Be Controversial
The only way to be seen with no money is to be controversial. To set yourself so far apart that everyone is interested in hearing what you have to say, especially if they do not believe it. This will help you define your brand and opinion and find action taking followers.
- Encourage people to enter contests or giveaways to win a cool T-shirt, thereby building your email list.
- Interact with your audience on social media by responding to comments and messages promptly.
- Create polls, quizzes, and interactive stories to keep your audience engaged.
I know this seems simple, and frankly it is simple, it just takes hard work and there is nothing simple about working hard especially when you are tired. Most of us will not get there FAST using this method but the majority of us will get there if we stick with the method.
Organically marketing a clothing line needs a high octane approach, combining the power of social media platforms, affiliate marketing, engaging content, and data driven decision making.
Remember, success in organic marketing takes time and consistent effort, so stay committed to your brand’s vision and mission.